How to Change the World with Art


As I type these words I have small tears forming in my eyes. I am staring at the face of change once again, about to graduate and never to return to GCE as a student but as an alum. It's mental, I can't wrap my head around the fact that I won't be making any more blog posts after June 17th. I am deeply saddened by the fact that I am leaving, scared of the fact that I am changing, and excited to expand my frontiers. A lot of emotions are going through my mind and heart. 

As we wrap up the last humanities class, Endurance, I try to think of what I have done over my past 4 years at GCE. I think the most prominent thing(s) I've done is create. I never stopped creating since I came to GCE, no matter the medium, the time, no matter anything I had to be creating. So, I decided to make a guide as to how to change the world using art/your creations. Oh, wait, no I haven't told you what we've been doing in the class! Oops!

In the class, we have been thinking about, yes, endurance, and what we will have to endure after graduating from GCE. In this last chunk of class, we read an excerpt from a retelling of Ishmael Beah's time as a child soldier, endured looking at horrifying/disturbing images from history, and we watched the documentary drama/adventure film Wild. Wild is about a self-destructive and broken Cheryl Strayed who is suffering from the loss of her mother which pushed her to embark on a journey of endurance to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (one of the country's longest and toughest trails).

Now, back to the AP! In this AP we were to create a "survival guide" for ourselves and for anyone who would like to/is thinking about following a similar path in life. My guide is about creating, and how to be able to do it as a career and be successful. If you are interested in learning about my plans or want to know how to survive being an artist, scroll down!


It is so bizarre to be done with my last humanities class at GCE, but at the same time, I feel ready for what comes next. Remember, keep creating, dreaming, and be ribbiting!

Much Love,
          Mena

Comments

Popular Posts